Saturday 8 October 2011

gorgeous.

GORGEOUS, is not a general word anyoone would use to describe a car. Sexy? Yes. Gorgeous? No.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UBRm23qPhI
I was looking up adverts for cars after Skoda was mentioned in a lecture recently and then I remembered the Jaguar advert 'gorgeous'.
 Are they trying to sell this car to women? Fashionistas?
I think that Jaguar is trying to create an elite group of people. If you own a Jaguar you are gorgeous and all your friends are beautiful, you life is full and perfect. You drive through the mundane everyday traffic and turn heads, you are gorgeous and have no frivolous worry's like the gas bill. 
The car business is as vain as the fashion one is, what you drive, is who you are. 


"Fashion was one of the reasons I wanted to chat with Marti Eulberg, Jaguar of North America's executive vice president of marketing and sales. Her rapid rise through Ford domestically and then at Volvo in Sweden as vice president of sales seemed interesting for someone from America's heartland. Next, was her take on Jag's initial Gorgeous' advertising I really didn't like it and the other was her first name, which is the same as my wife's Marti.

MB: Good things are happening at Jaguar. Congratulations on the recent awards for that gorgeous (oops word) C-XF concept car. What have your customers said about it?
ME: Customers tell me how sexy the car is and I of course agree.
MB: Your recent promotion from Volvo to Jag is a dramatic shift in vehicle perceptions and personalities. How has it affected you personally and professionally?
ME: After coming back to the states for Jaguar and living in Southern California, I naturally drive an XF convertible. So, when you have to run errands on a Saturday, you throw on a pair of shorts, put your hair in a ponytail, right? Not in this car! I made sure that I'm dressed right and look good. Everybody wants to talk about the car. You get in that car and everyone wants to have a conversation with you.
MB: When will XF in some form be in showrooms?
ME: It's a concept car with design cues for the future. There is no specific date, but as one looks at the XF they see the start of the new lines of the family of Jaguar cars. It's absolutely beautiful.
MB: The 1960s E Type Jag, for me, has always been the styling design icon for Jaguar. It was my aspiration to someday own one. What's today's perception for Jaguar?
ME: I'd only been on the job at Jaguar a day or two and I was sitting on an airplane … any where you go drive-up in the car and I hear, "I've always wanted a Jaguar!" You start to talk to them, and in their minds it's the old E type Jag.
MB: It's the iconic vehicle.
ME: Yes, it is and that's what is so great about the brand. It is an iconic brand and an iconic model. People start looking at our vehicles today and see what's happening as our iconic brand evolution accelerates. People are going with us.
MB: We know about the auto industry press' opinion of the C-XF concept car. What has been the consumer reaction to the concept?
ME: The consumer reaction to this car has been absolutely fabulous. And not polarizing at all, which is interesting too."


No comments:

Post a Comment